Who says romance is only reserved for sappy movies like The Notebook or Dirty Dancing? This summer, reignite the spark in your relationship by committing to regular date nights.
All you have to do is streeeeetch your imagination a little, beg grandma to watch the kiddies, and step out of your comfort zone.
And with the weather about to get even hotter with record-breaking temps, perhaps it’s time to crank up the heat for some nights out on the town. Here are 22 summer date nights in the Fraser Valley to add some sizzle to your summer for 2017.
Ready, Set, Romance…
1. Experience the Bard in the Valley – Bring a picnic, come a bit early and enjoy Township 7 wines to accompany their latest alfresco production a la Shakespeare. Note, this is an outdoor performance, so dress weather appropriately. Rain or shine. Tickets are available at the South Langley winery. Call 604-532-1766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
2. Snuggle under the Stars- Fresh Air Cinema returns this summer with FREE outdoor blockbusters, comedies and cult classics throughout the Fraser Valley and Metro Vancouver areas. Stay tuned for their 2017 listing and find updates on upcoming shows HERE. It’s probably going to get chilly after sunset, so prepare to cozy up.
3. Cook up Some Romance -Why not take a cooking class together at Well Seasoned A Gourmet Food Store and recreate the recipes you’ve learned together at home for friends?
The Well Seasoned cooking school is designed to bring chefs and wine experts to the Fraser Valley to teach us about new ingredients, new techniques & new flavours. Each week they offer different classes featuring guest chefs from some of the finest restaurants & catering companies in the Lower Mainland.
4. Blast to the Past- Motor on over to the Twilight Drive-in theatre in Aldergrove for the ultimate retro date. Originally introduced to North America in the early 30’s, the drive-in movie theatre has proven popular with motorists for decades. And while most have vanished over the years, nearing extinction, the outdoor entertainment trend is still as popular as ever in the Fraser Valley. As one of only three remaining outdoor theatres in B.C., the Twilight Drive-in, located in Aldergrove, is the ultimate blast to the past for all ages.
5. It’s Getting Hot in Here – Book a romantic weekend getaway to the Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa. Don’t forget to pack your swimsuits for those hot pools.
6. Love Uncorked – Romance pairs perfectly with vino — and fortunately there’s no shortage here in ‘the Valley.’ Our lush –pun fully intended — little neck of the woods produces and uncorks a wide variety of wines to suit even the most discerning palate. The best part is, you can head to one of the many wineries located throughout the Fraser Valley to enjoy free sampling.
7. Indulge– Enjoy a VIP movie experience, complete with cocktails and appy’s in a reclining chair at Cineplex Cinemas Abbotsford VIP. We went a couple of years ago and I was so excited I got to relax during the flick with a glass of bubbly and some chicken wings. The cinema is located at The Shops at Hughstreet, so arrive early for ample retail therapy time.
8. Feel Like a Teenager Again – Mini Golf Date at Castle Fun Park. This is where Jason and I had our second date. Don’t tell anyone, but we may have made out in the tunnel in the underwater themed-course 😉
9. Pretty Frilly Things – Swing by Forever Yours Lingerie in downtown Langley to try on some naughty little frilly numbers. They have some steamy stuff!
10. Let’s Bowl! Bowling — really, it’s a classic date. My personal fave is the Clover Lanes – they serve drinks and food.
11. Take a Tour – Grab a map and go on the Circle Farm Tour. A Circle Farm Tour is basically a road map that directs you to a variety of specialty farm-gate vendors, open air markets, charming eateries, heritage sites, fairs, and other special events. There’s a brochure and map for each participating community. The tours are self-guided, meaning that you travel in your own car, at your own pace, when it suits you. Each community brochure/map directs you to about twelve venues. All are related in some way to agriculture and the area’s farming heritage.
12. Take your Relationship to New Heights -Are you craving some adventure? Why not book a Sky Helicopter Tour? SKY Helicopters is the leading helicopter company in Vancouver, offering Vancouver helicopter adventure sightseeing tours and rides, throughout the Fraser Valley and Metro Vancouver. In fact, they even offer a wine tour. Enjoy private tastings, no lineups, and personalized service at some of the Okanagan and Fraser Valley’s best wineries. Skip traffic and fly over the spectacular landscapes of our province’s grape growing regions. Let the helicopter pilot be your designated driver! Check out our adventure HERE.
13. Bust a Move – Have you been dying to drag your partner to a dance class?Perhaps if you offer them dessert afterwards, they might be more inclined 😉 No really… Dancing for Dessert Studio in Langley teaches couples Ballroom and Latin dance classes and private lessons for all partner dances including Foxtrot, Tango, Waltz, Salsa, Cha Cha, Rumba, Swing and more.
14. Feeling lucky? Head to Cascades Casino to see if Lady Luck is on your side. On weekends, the venue now offers dancing and live music. Also enjoy chicken and waffles on the incredible patio at Match Eatery & Public House while you’re there. And if you get too tipsy to drive home, the hotel and convention centre offers affordable rates.
15. Oh Oysters! – Whoever said there isn’t fresh seafood in the Fraser Valley hasn’t been to the 1 Fish 2 Fish Fresh Seafood Market in Langley City. This amazing gem carries wild, sustainable and chemical-free seafood year-round. Not sure how to cook it, see #3!
16. Serenade Your Sweetie – Does the idea of karaoke make you cringe? Well, I double dare you to give it a whirl for your next date night. In fact, I picked up Jason at a karaoke pub and we’ve been together for 12 years. Even if you can’t carry a tune, it’s so much fun!
17. Beach Date – We only get a few glorious months of sunshine a year, so head to White Rock for fish n’ chips and a stroll along the promenade. Our first date was at White Rock Beach! At the risk of sounding super sappy, Jason and I knew that very day that we were it for each other. Exactly four months later he proposed. Crazy, hey???
18. Shop til You Drop – Head over to the Shops at Morgan Crossing in South Surrey for some couples’ retail therapy. If you’re famished, enjoy a pitcher of sangria and share a pizza on the patio at Famosa Pizzeria. It’s affordable and they have the best pizza around.
19.Couples’ Massage- Have you ever experienced a side-by-side couples’ massage? The Su Casa Spa in Fort Langley offers a romantic ambiance under a sparkling chandelier, next to a fireplace.
20. Netflix Date- It’s not always easy to get out without the kiddies. Whether it’s a tight budget or lack of babysitting options, good ol’ Netflix is always a great option. Some of the best nights for Jason and I involved a bottle of wine, shucking our own oysters in our flannel pjs while watching some campy horror movie.
And there you have it Valleyties— 20 sizzling date night/day ideas to keep the romance alive this summer. Who knows, maybe we’ll see you at one of these great local hot spots. If you’re craving some more summer bucket list fun, don’t forget to check out our family bucket list HERE for more adventures in ‘the Valley.’