For over 100 years, YMCA Camp Elphinstone has been providing kids (aged 5 to 17) with unique outdoor experiences, so it’s no surprise that year after year it continues to be the summer camp of choice for many families. Located on B.C.’s Sunshine Coast near Gibsons (just a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver), Camp Elphinstone provides kids with the ultimate summer experience, in a safe and inviting environment, where campers experience unforgettable moments, meet new friends and explore and develop their skills and leadership potential. Here are five reasons why your child should experience Camp Elphinstone this summer!
- Fun, informative programming
From canoeing and archery to arts and crafts, YMCA Camp Elphinstone offers a wide variety of traditional and specialized programming. Schedules are planned around four types of programs:
- Cabin Choice allows campers to participate in a variety of activities as a cabin, helping to build friendships and develop teamwork.
- Interest Groups allow campers to choose their own skill-based activity to focus on each day of overnight camp.
- Freebies are short blocks of activities chosen by campers that focus on fun and adventure with friends.
- Section Programs are camp-wide activities that all campers enjoy together.
- Caring, certified staff
All YMCA staff are trained leaders committed to the well-being of children, and have completed the following before camp starts:
- A criminal record check, three reference checks and personal interview.
- First Aid and CPR-C certification.
- A minimum of 35 hours of training, which includes topics such as child protection, child guidance, safety and supervision.
- Beautiful location
Surrounded by temperate rainforest and the picturesque shoreline of Howe Sound, YMCA Camp Elphinstone’s 144 acres offer campers the chance to escape the hustle and bustle of suburban life and experience the tranquil beauty of the Pacific Northwest.
- Peace of mind
The health and safety of your child is the number one priority at Camp Elphinstone. It complies with various health and safety regulations and industry standards to ensure a safe environment, including:
- Nationally certified lifeguards to supervise all waterfronts.
- A well-equipped health centre with staff trained to handle emergencies, including a full-time wellness leader.
- A nearby medical clinic for other emergencies.
- A kitchen that not only offers nutritious and well- balanced meals but also ensures dietary concerns are addressed.
- BC Camping Association accreditation for campers with special Needs. The YMCA welcomes kids of all abilities to its programs, and its staff are able to assist campers with basic physical and mental disabilities.
- Affordability factor
No one should miss out on a YMCA camp experience. That’s why it offers financial assistance and payment plans to assist those whose financial circumstances would otherwise prevent them from attending camp. You can contact the YMCA today for more information and a confidential application form, or to find out how you can help support a child in need. Applications must be received at least two weeks prior to the camp start date.
Another way to save is to enroll your child with a friend who did not attend a YMCA camp in 2016 and both families will get a 10% discount!
Let’s face it, there’s something about camp that brings out the best in all of us. Whether it’s bonding with friends around a campfire, playing sports or simply enjoying time outdoors, kids can experience it all at Camp Elphinstone. Watch the video to see what it’s all about!
The YMCA has been providing camps for more than 100 years to help children and youth ages 5-17 build confidence, leadership skills and environmental awareness. The YMCA’s values based, child-centred programs enable campers to make new friends and have fun in a positive, safe environment.
For more information about the types of camps available at Elphinstone, visit www.gv.ymca.ca
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post