Did you know that 9 out of 10 young girls say they feel the pressure from the media to be thin? According to the Girl Scout Research Institute, 50% of girls in Grade 6 are on a diet, while 36% of girls in grade 6 say they are self-confident – that number drops to 14% by age 10.
As a mom of two impressionable young girls who has struggled with her own body image demons over the years, these statistics are upsetting. Sadly, they don’t come as a shock.
We all know that body image is a big problem in our society. Nowadays, it seems that children younger and younger are beginning to be preoccupied about their weight and appearance.
So what’s a concerned parent to do?
Other than be a role model to my girls and arm them with as much confidence as possible, I don’t pretend to have all the answers. That’s why I’m sure glad there is a FREE interactive event popping up here in the Fraser Valley on Saturday aims to tackle this problem head on.
On Saturday, Sept. 17th, my girls and I will be heading to the Sevenoaks Shopping Centre in Abbotsford (32900 South Fraser Way) to attend the BeYou Girl Tradeshow & Workshops, which runs from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The shopping mall is being transformed into a tradeshow designed to empower young girls and support the Big Brothers Big Sisters program across Canada.
Enjoy a day of speakers, live entertainment, interactive stations, inspirational spaces and so much more! Plus a chance to win a $500 Gift Card by visiting various passport destinations!
First 300 Guests to visit Guest Services will receive a FREE swag bag!!!
- Mini Makeovers by Hudson’s Bay
- Skin Care Consultations from Shoppers Drug Mart
- Make an Inspirational Lantern Craft with The Reach
- Create a Vision Board with The Sparkle Project
- Visit our DAVIDsTEA Inspirational Space
- First 300 girls under the age of 18 get a free swag bag
- DAVIDsTEA samples
- Yoga Presentations
- Inspirational Wall
- A Jump Wall – Photo Booth
- Promise Wall
- Henna Tattoos (for a $2 donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters)
- Sparkle Tattoos (for a $2 donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters)
- Have your nails painted by Clarie’s
- Skin Consultations with The Body Shop
- Healthy Snack Station at Parisotto’s Your Independent Grocer
- Protein Shake samples from GNC
- Start a Journal Page at Coles with Basic Bloggers
- Tool Demos at Enviro Trends
- Image Optometry Ray Ban Trunk Show
- Financial Planning presentation with CIBC
- Purchase a BeYou bracelet (for a $2 donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters)
- Spin-to-Win with Sevenoaks
- Enter to win a $200 gift card with Sears
- PLUS over a dozen community booths fulls of information, demonstrations and much more!
CENTRE STAGE LINE UP:
- 11am WelcomeEmcee – Adera Angelucci
- 11:15am performances by vocalist Molly Wilson
- 11:30am Kristal Barret-Stuart – The Sparkle ProjectBuild a vision board to help fulfill your dreams
- 12pm performance by Xreme Dance Company
- 1230pm Brenda Adams – City of AbbotsfordTop 5 health and fitness tips
- 1pm performance by Bolly X Class
- 1:30pm Dr. Kara Aiton and Dr. Oommen – Division of Family PracticeHealthy Living and Nutrition
- 2pm performance by Piano and Strings – Duets and Trio Ebenezer Fine Arts
- 2:30pm Chelsey Dixon – Chelsey Luren PortraitsHealing Body Image – The Mind’s Eye Through the Camera’s Lens
- 3pm performance by Dynamic Dance
- 3:15pm Abbotsford Police Department – Mary BoonstraPositive Choices in regards to bullying and peer pressure
- 3:30pm Ashley Wiles – Sole Girls Finding your happy pace through Friendship, Community and Mental Health.
Check out the #beyougirlpassion in your back to school fashion contest as well, for a chance to win a $100 gift card and photography session with @quantum images.
WHAT IS BEYOU GIRL?
BeYou Girl is a national cause marketing campaign created to increase self-esteem and empower young females across Canada. Be You takes the power of partnership by bringing awareness of this issue and giving young females better access to personal and professional development tools, while celebrating their growth, diversity and self-worth. With the help of Big Sisters in Abbotsford and The Sparkle Project BC, we are partnering together to increase awareness, raise funds for Big Sisters and help young girls with Healthy Eating, Healthy Lifestyle and Self Esteem.
Find out more by visiting beyougirl.ca #beyougirl
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://www.valleymom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/13621326_10154196499215359_2104428602_o.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]One of Vancouver’s top Mommy Bloggers, Kristyl Clark resides in the beautiful Fraser Valley region of British Columbia, Canada surrounded by lush countryside, urban shopping centers, wineries and parks. This work-at-home mom of two little Valley girls is proving there is nothing bland about the burbs. Her adventurous family seems to always be out on some sort of crazy quest, from helicopter rides and wild river rafting, to top-secret paranormal investigations and living the high-life sampling the fine wines and foods of the Fraser Valley region. Kristyl also publishes a monthly column in Black Press publications throughout Metro Vancouver titled ‘Pink Laundry’ and is co-editor of Urbanique Magazine. The ValleyMom.ca blog inspires her loyal fanbase through the trials and tribulations of suburban family living, guiding readers to local hotspots and hidden gems in her Canadian backyard.[/author_info] [/author]
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post.