Want to start 2015 with a bang? How about an icy-cold plunge in the Fraser River?
On Jan. 1 at 9 a.m. sharp, Valleyites of all ages are challenged to head on over to Brae Island Beach in Fort Langley for the Second Annual Fort Langley Polar Bear Swim. Yes, it sounds chilly, but what a great way to start a New Year and ward off any hangovers 😉 It’s definitely a healthier alternative to McDonald’s.
- If you have a heart problem – just watch!
- Children must stay with an adult.
- Do not drink – alcohol does not warm you up – it accelerates hypothermia.
- Do not stay in the water longer than 15 minutes. Body heat is lost 25 times faster in water than in air.
- Do not remove your clothing until swim time.
- First three swimmers to reach the dock on the opposite side of the beach are the three Fraser Valley polar bear champions.
- Warm up with coffee or hot chocolate at Lelem Cafe or Wendell’s or the Blacksmith bakery or the Red Velvet Cafe all within close walking distance.